Monday, April 27, 2009

Hot, Flat and Crowded

On May 3, Jerry Gehre is going to speak on Thomas Friedman's book, "Hot, Flat and Crowded", and on our response to the book. Here's Dr. Gehre's synopsis of his presentation:

"In the book Hot, Flat and Crowded the author Thomas L. Friedman identified the convergence of three major trends: Global Warming, Global Flattening, and Global Crowding. These trends lead to at least five major problems facing the world. Mr. Friedman proposed several secular ideas working for solutions to the problems.
In the Christian environment we need to examine these trends and problems to determine if there is a role for Christians to assist in the solution to the problems raised by Mr. Friedman. Does the Bible point to a responsibility in the church? If so, what level within the church should be involved: National, Regional, and/or Local. In addition, what is the individual responsibility in resolving these problems regardless of their religious beliefs?"

Jerry's bio sketch reads:

"My professional career started In 1969 when we moved to Johnson City where I was a Professor of Economics at ETSU. Shortly thereafter my role changed to an administrator at the university. At the time of my retirement my duties included being an Associate Vice President for Finance and Administration. After retiring from ETSU I was a Professor of Management and subsequently, an Interim Vice President for Academic Affairs at Tusculum College.
My wife Betty and I have three married children with two grandchildren. We enjoy traveling, attending Elder Hostels and artistic activities. My wife is a potter, china painter, and oil painter. My interests include rock and mineral collecting, lapidary and silver smithing."


Our own Harrison Taylor enthusiastically recommended Dr. Gehre after hearing his talk at the Presbyterian Center on ETSU's campus.

Please join us. As always, you'll be very welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment