Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The science of religion: a modern and ancient offering

Next Sunday, June 21, our guest speaker will be Hap Cawood, visiting from Dayton, Ohio. Hap comes to us by his connection with Harriet Baker.

Here's his synopsis of his presentation:

"My talk will be "The science of religion: a modern and ancient offering." This presentation aims to make the case that the Jesus' teachings, rightly understood, are in harmony with science, the Bhagavad-Gita and Pantajali's Yoga Sutras, and that one can prove this by direct experience. This talk will draw from Paramahansa Yogananda's works, such as "The Second Coming of Christ -- Resurrecting the Christ Within You," and will concentrate mostly on the methods and experiences of attaining divine realization, as noted in a number of esoteric Biblical passages. "

And a brief Bio from Mr. Cawood:

"After receiving my B.A. in English from Union College (Ky.), I taught in my hometown Harlan High School and as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Sierra Leone. I then earned my M.A. degree in Journalism at Ohio State and worked for the Dayton Daily News 34 years as an editorial writer and editorial page editor. My Johnson City connection is that my younger daughter, Shuly, married Harriet Baker's son, Preston McKee."

Please join us for what promises to be an enriching presentation. The Forum starts at 9:45.

No comments:

Post a Comment