Wednesday, April 21, 2010

MicroLoans with Jerry Nagel

Coming up on April 25th we will host Jerry Nagel who will speak on MicroLoans to individuals and groups in the less developed world. Many of you will know Jerry from his previous presentation to the Adult Forum. However, this occurred before I arrived, so I invited him back.
I aske Jerry to send me something about himself and his talk, and here's what he said:

"I taught various field biology courses at ETSU from 1969 to my retirement 13 years ago and was active in local naturalist rallies and environmental groups. Got interested in microloans through our Issues Sunday School class at Covenant Presbyterian in Johnson City while we were doing a study on Globalization. We studied "The True Cost of Low Prices: The Violence of Globalization" - basically a lousy book with lots of whining about US exploitation but almost nothing about solutions. We were all rather frustrated, so I volunteered to do a wrap-up session summarizing what PC(USA) was doing about these social justice issues and found out that we were involved with a Dutch faith-based group called Oikocredit which raises capital to fund microloans to small, 3rd world entrepreneurs without access to commercial banks. The whole concept really intriqued me and I have been studying and prosyletizing the concept ever since. We personally have committed about 10% of our resources to microloans via groups we are confident are interested mainly in social justice rather than profit."

Please join us for the presentation and discussion. We'll welcome you warmly. And as it is with us, the very best in childcare is provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment