Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Going Green with Josh Kelaher

This coming Sunday we are pleased to host Josh Kelaher, a student at James Madison University and an entrepeneur in green building design. Josh writes:

I want to talk about some misconceptions people have about "going green." While the name may be trendy, sustainability is not going to be a flash in the pan. Every day we are confronted with more and more problems related to our finite resources in the energy realm. Not only that, but the signs of our threatened energy security are more clear than ever in the recent events around the world. So what can we do? Being environmentally conscious isn't a full time job or a nuisance, as some may think. A major obstacle is that people just aren't accustomed to thinking and acting with their environmental impact in mind. Others still feel that the little things don't make that big of a difference. Nothing could be further from the truth. I want to talk about my house and my experiences living there, as well as working for a start-up company with the goal to make renewable energy options affordable for homeowners through creative financing and integration of designs.

Josh is Judy Garland's grandson who says, "I'm a senior at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia. I was born and grew up in South Carolina, and then moved just outside of DC to Fairfax, Virginia for high school. At JMU I'm earning a degree in Integrated Science and Technology, with an emphasis on energy studies and environmental science. I'm passionate about sustainability and learning all that I can to reduce my impact on the environment. For two summers during college, I traveled to Costa Rica to study renewable energy technologies first hand. Outside of my studies, I enjoy snowboarding, playing the guitar, and exploring the Shenandoah Valley."

Please join us to hear this refreshing voice on leaving the world better than we found it. We'll be tickled to see you. As always, superb childcare is provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment