Saturday, January 3, 2009

Session 1: An Invitation to Journey

The first session in titled: An Invitation to Journey. I'll be happy to send you a copy of the pre-class reading via e-mail. It's good -- deeper, I think, than the dvd. As a teaser, here are a couple of quotes:


"....“I think certainty is a vice in religion. I really think that we ought to rid ourselves of it. So, I would constantly want to hold this wrestling, this uncomfortableness, I do not have it together, we are struggling in this together, as the proper image of the Christian faith. We walk into the
mystery of God. We never arrive. And if we think we arrive we become an idolater.”– Jack Spong

"When Billie Holiday sang: “Thems that got shall get, thems that not shall lose…God Bless the child that’s got his own, that’s got his own,” she was tapping into a profound truth about life – and spirituality. Relying solely on doctrines and dogma passed on from others has seldomSo been a satisfying exercise for those longing for something deeper spiritually or thought-provoking theologically. To not ask questions is tantamount to forfeiting one’s own spiritual birthright and allowing other people’s experience of the divine to define your experience."

So, if you'd like a copy of the reading material (about 4 pages) just send me an email and I'll get it to you. Write to me at david.roane@gmail.com
(I would really like to post the reading on-line, but the publisher's website says that would be a violation of their copyright)

No comments:

Post a Comment