Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Kingdom Without Walls

For next Sunday, September 6, we will continue the Living the Questions2 series with the chapter entitled "A Kingdom Without Walls." This is one of my favorites and it is typified by the following story:

"As Nikos Kazantzakis walked along a dusty path in his native Crete, an elderly woman was passing by, carrying a basket of figs. She paused, picked out two figs, and presented them to the author. “Do you know me, old lady?” Kazantzakis asked. She glanced at him in amazement, “No, my boy. Do I have to know you to give you something? You are a human being, aren’t you? So am I. Isn’t that enough?”

The legal mandates in the Old Testament are unique among the other known judicial systems in the Ancient Near East in their consistent and outspoken advocacy of the weakest, least protected, and disadvantaged members of the society.

No comments:

Post a Comment